Project Destash #2 | Doily {Crochet}

Wednesday 2 July 2014

I mentioned on Monday that I was making a doily out of a free pattern I found through Pinterest (but did not actually pin it) and it turned out that the pattern had a few issues. I am now at my third attempt at making it - no, I will not give up! At the same time I was looking at ways to show you doilies and how to display them. And I came across a genius idea which I am hoping to repeat in Baby MiH's room for him so that it can have his own wall art. 

This has been frogged again since the picture was taken
So I am de-stashing yarn as well as fabric, and making doilies is a great way to do this - as I can adapt the size of the doily to the yarn I have left and add more rounds to the doily if I feel I want something bigger. Also doilies are great portable projects! 

from the Socialite Family
And you know when you have this idea in your head, and the same day something appears in your blog feed with exactly what you were looking for - but you did not know you were looking for it (am I making even sense here?). This is what happened with this wall art made of doilies, it is a great to use vintage (or your grandma's) doilies and add new ones to the mix. To make the shape I found this tutorial - using some Stiffy (who thought of that name, seriously). I have also seen this inspiration picture, and wondering whether I could recreate that crochet pattern - anyone has any ideas? 

8 comments:

  1. I love the idea for crocheted wall art. Hmm, it would have to be a man I am guessing - for the name Stiffy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of doilies but have never quite known what to do with them besides lay them under lamps... which I only have so many of. That wall hanging concept is absolutely ingenious! Might be time for a project :)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love your doilies! They look so cool as wall art but yes that is a terrible name for a product!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty idea! Can't wait to see your interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like what you've done with the doilies. My husband asked the same question about the "stiffy." I had to buy some for snowflakes I knitted, and both of us cracked up over the name. Also, we are 12. ;-)

    ReplyDelete