Books, books, books

Sunday 6 April 2014

A reading post... I am traveling quite a bit at the moment, and these are probably my only 'finishes' - except for Wool, but honestly I tried, really tried to finish it- but I just couldn't.



Before I go really into it ... you need to read this book. It is a very tough topic, but dealt with in the most unexpected way, and it talks about perceptions and the parameters you are brought up with.  


I picked this one at the library because of its title - I expected something fun and light. WRONG! OMG, I could not have been more wrong. One thing you need to know about The First Book of Calamity Leek is that you will not understand the first chapters. I thought it was my English, and then I checked on goodreads in case it was not. And everyone was saying that they had no idea what had been going on either in the first chapters but that it was worth carrying on with. And it was. The book lacks some details sometimes, but it is an amazing book. But beware the topic is tough. Sorry I cannot really tell you more. Oh, also,you will probably get it faster if you are based in the UK.


So I did not finish this one.. I did read 180 pages of it, but there were still 400 pages to go - in small caps, (and another 2 volumes), and I just could not face it. I am one of the few ones who did not like it, they say it is the next Hunger Games - I personally never got into it. 

Life is good in the silo. The people are friendly, food is plentiful, healthcare is readily available when needed. Those in charge are democratically elected and take their office on the top floor. A skilled IT department keeps channels of communication open throughout. And the whole silo is kept ticking over by the engineers in Mechanical, deep in the belly of the Earth. Just one look at the screens projecting video images of the bleak, uninhabitable landscape outside, and the inhabitants of the silo know how good they've got it. There are always some crazy folk who question this from time to time. How did the silo get here? What exactly is out there, out of view of the lens? These ungrateful dissenters are punished by being cast out with a woolen cloth to clean the cameras so that everyone else can continue to enjoy the view - fated to certain death. But one day sheriff Holston, the sensible and much-respected warden of the silo, joins the dissident ranks and chooses to go outside. This sets in motion a chain of events that shake the foundations of the entire community.


Another Musso - I got it out of the library (yes it also has a few French books!) because I needed to go back into a genre I knew after spending 3 weeks on Wool. It is a romantic thriller - a typical Musso, and it felt good to be in safe hands. I read it within a week, and I was happy.

This is the one I am currently reading - as it was a hit in the 52 books challenge. This is the first volume - out of three. The main character has just entered the Game - but has not yet really 'played'. It is intriguing, I am not gripped yet (maybe I am just a picky reader) but maybe the Game really needs to start in earnest. 

Any good read your end? I reserved Karen Perry ('The boy that never was') at the library, following watching a good review on French TV. 


And can I just say, I am SO glad that our library system in Hertfordshire mean that I can reserve any book from any library in the network! If you have a similar system, it is definitely worth using it - especially if your house is already full of books like ours!

4 comments:

  1. You do not read lightly. Oh boy. Glad you had a comfort read to fall back on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really do not read lightly! I have been very intrigued by The First Book of Calamity Leek, I shall have to pick up a copy :)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just finished Life after Life and just didn't enjoy it. I thought it was all a bit pointless. I read to the end but wish I hadnt. I am now reading The cuckoo's calling whichI am eenjoying

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nat, I enjoy reading about reads. I am currently reading the new Kate Ellis, The Shroudmaker. A medieval/contemporary crime. Next I hope to read The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis and then the new Helen Dunmore set in WW1.

    ReplyDelete